How to Contribute a Spell
On a high level, these are the steps you should take:
- 2.Decide on what problem you’re trying to solve with a spell.
- 3.Identify the required raw and decoded tables (henceforth sources) needed. Define tests and freshness for your sources.
- 4.Define a unit test for your spell.
- 5.Write your spell as a select statement. Define your spell in a schema YAML file.
- 6.Run dbt compile to compile your spell.
- 7.Copy your spell from the target folder and try running it on dune.com in a new query window.
- 8.When you’re happy with your spell, from a fork of the abstractions Github Repo, open a Pull Request.
- 9.Tag duneanalytics/data-experience and write a short description of your spell.
- 10.Dune will open your pull request as an internal pull request which will trigger your spell to be created in the staging database and run tests.
- 11.If everything looks good, Dune will merge your changes and deploy them to production where they will be visible on Dune.com data explorer under abstractions.